Sunday, November 11, 2018

First Day at College


My first day at college is an important event of my life. To me it is an unforgettable day. I was most curiously [কৌতূহলজনক] awaiting the day when I would start my college life. I thought that the college life would offer me a free life, here restrictions [নিষেধাজ্ঞা] would be few. At last, the longed-for [প্রত্যাশিত] day came.

I reached the campus of Dhaka Commerce College. It took me some fifteen minutes to reach there. This time I felt nervous. My feet seemed not to have touched the ground. The large building, though I saw it before, appeared new to me.

The building, its majestic [ঐশ্বর্যশালী] structure, and the large campus occupied [দখল] a new place in my mind. I found myself in a new world. I saw some boys in front of a board. I went there and saw our class routine. I took the routine.

I entered the college premises [পরিসর] with new hopes and aspirations [উচ্চাকাঙ্ক্ষা]. I was glad to see that the college presented a new sight. It was quite different from what I had seen in and around our school. I came across many unknown faces.

The bell rang. It was 10 a.m. According to routine I entered a room numbered four. It was very spacious [প্রশস্ত]. Some students were already seated there. I sat down on the second bench of the second row.

After a few moments a smart gentleman entered. We all stood up and honoured him. He with a happy smile told us to be seated. He was the professor of English. When we sat down, he called over the role. He advised us to be punctual and regular, to be obedient to teachers, to be sympathetic [সহৃদয়] and to be friendly with our classmates. The bell duly rang.  The teacher left the class.

We went out. The second period was off-period. So, I with one of my new classmates walked round the different blocks of the college building. I went to the student’s common room. I saw there some students playing table tennis, some carom board, some sitting on the chairs and reading newspapers.

I had some very strange experiences on the first day of my college life. I was baffled [হতবুদ্ধি] to see students playing indoor and outdoor games. I observed that the students are free in their movements. They can do things according to their choice.

I found all the newly admitted students in a high spirits. They were all happy to make friends. I moved round the college. I was very much delighted [আনন্দিত] to see the grand library of the college where I could find books on very subjects.

I found that the method of teaching in the college is different from that in the school. Each subject is taught by a specialized teacher. Professors don't rebuke [তিরস্কার] the students if they fail to learn their lessons. They simply tell the students to be conscious [সচেতন] of their responsibilities [দায়-দায়িত্ব].

The students find here a homely atmosphere which they lack in the school. For this, they feel easy and comfortable here.

I felt a new rhythm [ছন্দ] of life and returned home with a mixed sense of duty and liberty স্বাধীনতা.

The class being over, I left the college. I returned home with a joyous mind. I concluded [উপসংহার] that liberty or freedom must not be misused at all. Thus my first day at college ended happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment